Thursday, May 07, 2015

Come on People!

I had a nice early morning bike ride today with some bike buddies, then stopped at the house to grab my bag, switch bikes (not sure why), then ride to work. I’m normally a pretty early morning rider, frequently getting to work before 7am. Today, I was riding through Chicago’s Old Town neighborhood right around 8am. Lots of cars. Lots of bikes.

My gripe today is with the people on the bikes. Start acting like grown-ups. I don’t care if you run every red light and stop sign as long as you a) don’t take the right-of-way from someone, and b) pay attention to what bikes ahead of you are doing.

Right of Way


If you get to a four-way stop or a red light and nobody is there, I won’t quibble with you blowing through the intersection. If there’s a kid trying to cross the street to get to school, or if there are cars with the right-of-way, you damn well better stop. If the way I saw people riding this morning is any indication, I think there are a lot of lawyers specializing in drawing up wills who should be advertising into the cycling community.

Bikes Stopped Ahead of You


For crying out loud, people! If another bike has seen fit to stop at an intersection or crosswalk, they probably did it for a good reason! Maybe you won’t be happy until you cream some kid on his way to school? Think of a bike stopped ahead of you as a second set of eyes (and a second brain, because obviously many of you aren’t using the one you’ve got). Listen to what he’s saying by stopping.

No wonder drivers hate us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We learn from accidents (if we survive) and near accidents. When you ride a lot there are things you learn from experience that are not easily found written down in any book. Some of them become second nature to us and are intuitively applied. Such as your use of stopped cyclist eyes! I love it.

Every bicyclist/automobile encounter/accident I have been involved in was the car drivers fault. But really it was me, who now realizes that I was entering high risk areas or situations and that I should have been on maximum alert. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, the cyclist will loose.

Keep on Blogging, you may save the life of somebody you never know or meet.